Raise your hand if you tinker with your brand?
Yes, you. You better be raising it. Because I know that we as entrepreneurs love to tweak, tinker, and totally take apart our brands just be-cause.
For many of us this “tweaking” isn’t rooted in anything specific like we need to update sales copy or fix a typo. The truth is we just don’t want to be done.
As entrepreneurs, our brands are our babies and just like with our kiddos it is difficult to just let them be. We just want to clean their faces, tie their shoes, and triple check to make sure that they have everything they may need.
This parental instinct also extends to our brands. And just like with the kids, sometimes our tweaking is good and sometimes it cripples the brand in the end.
1. How old is your brand kid? New or re-branded brands are like having babies around. You have to get use to them. They have to get use to you. And just like with babies, you can’t expect them to take care of themselves. Same holds true with your brand.
2. The terrible 2’s are real. Just like with your kids, your brands will hit the terrible 2s as well. Around the two year mark, your brand will have had some growth, but will have to be growing to the next level. And in this moment of growth comes great strength and struggle both personally and professionally.
3. At some point you will have a little brand. And about 5 years in you will realize that what was once your little fledgling brand that you always had to take care of, that now you have a little brand. Not quite at the size, strength, influence, or income as the “adult” version of your brand, but a little “mini me” version is at hand.
4. Understand your brand kid’s friends. The company you keep, influences who you are. And your brand is no different. From your audience, staffers, and independent contrac-tors- everyone your brand meets influences who you are and what you are about.
5. Plan, prep, and let live. From the moment you conceive (brand or child) you begin to create dreams, plans, and visions for your brand. Some you help bring into action while others will never come to be. Same holds true with your brand.
Yes your brand is your kid. Never forget it.
Obsessed with helping the "Little Guy," the Davids, beat the modern day Goliaths, Ali Craig is 3x best selling author, producer, strategist, luxury and master neuro human brand-ing® - she knows that the best brands and relationships speak to our human elements. And it is these relationships in which we must use our brains, heart, and soul to sell.http://alicraig.com